Saturday, April 12, 2008

Writer's Block

It was a dark and stormy night. Rahul was asleep in his bed. When suddenly, the door sprung open. He was not alone! By the time Rahul realized what was happening it was already too late.

Do you want to read any further? I won't blame you if the answer is a resounding NO. The fact is, its a piece of literature that would put VS Naipaul (of Nobel fame) to shame. Sometimes, doing something you like turns out to be the most difficult task to perform. Let me illustrate with an example. I love writing! On anything and everything under the Sun. There's no one stopping me and yet I can't think of any mind-boggling Earth-shaking ideas like weasels wearing cardboard shirts. Scientists call it the Writer's Block. A peculiar condition with an unimaginative name. They might as well have called it Noideaswhatsoeverinmind.(On second thoughts, Writer's Block is easier to remember)

A month ago, a good friend of mine asked me whether I would like to contribute articles to a magazine he was starting. Sure! No problem, my pleasure. Heck, I may be studying engineering but I'm a journo at heart!
And so promises were made.

Its been ages since the offer and I still don't have any good ideas forming in my mind. My poor dear friend has run out of adjectives that are cursive in nature. (Note: Cursive means what I want it to mean)
So finally, I'm writing about a Writer's Block, that too my own. Which brings us to
Word of the Day: OXYMORON!!!

In case you are one of those people who are too lazy to flip the pages of a dictionary, an oxymoron is a straightforward statement using contradictory words to lay emphasis on the object. For example, a little too much, true lies etc.

PS. Hey Vishv, sorry to have kept you waiting for so long. Once I have something to write about, you'll be the first to know.

No comments: