Thursday, September 10, 2009

Darkness Falls

Its been over two weeks since I last posted an entry on my blog. Not because I had few ideas, but I had a sudden rush of too many. Enjoying my glorious days of unemployment by visiting my relatives and roaming about the country, I got to learn more about people, places and particularly, myself. Everywhere I went, I found myself flooded with new ideas and posts for my blog. And yet, none were posted. Frankly, because I was scared.

One of my journeys was to Mathura, birthplace of the great Lord Krishna. For those of you who don't know about Lord Krishna, he is one of the reincarnations of God Vishnu. Lord Krishna occupies an important place in Hindu mythology (Check out this Pantheon.org article for more info). Tales of his various Leelas are as abundant as sea-shells on a beach.

Anyways, Mathura was supposed to be a spiritual destination. But what I saw was nothing but commercialization of religion. I was ashamed of the brazen manner in which the religious beliefs of followers were being exploited by the so-called spiritual gurus. On a theological level, I felt my belief in God stagger. From an agnostic, I turned into an atheist.

I feel I should not elaborate the incidents that happened. Criticizing Hinduism in India is injurious to health. So, due to safety concerns I might as well bury the matter. I felt like laughing at the fascade that is called religion and yet, I suppressed my laughter. Maybe the One in Heaven wants things this way.

Anyhow, all my sacriligious views won't be posted on the blog. More importantly, they will be collected in the form of a book (whether the book gets published is another matter altogether).

But I will not end this post without writing anything meaningful. I discovered this useful site - Pantheon.org
The site calls itself the Encyclopedia Mythica. Undoubtably, one of the largest warehouses of mythologies from around the world. Worth a glance!

No comments: