Sunday, May 17, 2009

Take a Bow

I never thought I'd be writing this post. But now, the end is near.

In the week 27th April - 1st May, I organized SYNERGY 2K9. The name was given to the otherwise boorish sounding ISTE WEEK last year. President Aashish Aggarwal and VP Anurag Saxena had come up with a unique name for a mini tech-fest consisting of five events in a span of three days. Mr. Kapil Goyal, a notorious teacher from the Mechanical Department had said it was impossible. "In your face, KKG!" was our triumphant response at the end of three days.

Fast forward to 2009. I had already proved myself with ISTE WEEK (See: Tears in Heaven). The name Synergy was going to become a fixture every year. Planning was in full flow. And then it hit me. My last contribution to college. My last hurrah! After dedicating three years of my life to ISTE, it was finally time to say goodbye. I felt heavy. No more events, just spend some time peacefully as a regular, ordinary student. But the path chosen 3 years ago did not let me return to mediocrity. SYNERGY 2K9 was destined to happen.

This time around, all technical events. The list:

  • Tech Yard

  • Web Hunt 2.0

  • Bravado - The Corporate Quiz

  • Bit Fighters

  • Gladiator's Arena

We had an event from every discipline. From Mechanical to Computers. But something was missing. Electronics! There could be no robot making or circuit designing because frankly, ISTE in our college is a cash-strapped society. Our budget did not allow us the luxury of thinking about ICs or bread boards. We all were confused. And then- There was Light!

Tech-Chat was the answer to our prayers. Something that was loved by all...students as well as teachers. All applications duly signed and approved, all material bought. And so began the last dance.

The week preceding the events, I had gone to Ambala to place the order for the prizes. Nothing can be more embarrassing than selecting the trophy you are going to be presented with at the valedictory ceremony. I blushed but placed the order anyway.

In the prize distribution ceremony, I was where I had always wanted to be - on stage as an anchor. One last time!

May 1st 2009, 1545 IST: It was finally over. The name of the new President had been announced. Now was the time to be alone. ISTE had been my everything in college. I ran a lot less behind girls than I ran for events and meetings. It was fun, no doubt!

ISTE helped me salvage some pride. In a desolate middle-of-nowhere college run by a capricious management, it had given me hope. I used to think joining MMEC, Mullana had been the biggest mistake of my life. It wasn't. Whatever work I did, it benefitted me and my fellow students. I came in contact with talented individuals who were all ready to bring about a change in college.

The winds of change are blowing harder than ever. I just hope that the foundations of the college do not crumble under the pressure.

And now, I'm gone! In July, a new batch of students will arrive. And I'll be just a memory...fading away into ignominy.

Goodbye ISTE, it was worth every moment!

Be the Change you to see in the world. - MK Gandhi

No comments: